Located at No. 15 Nandouya Hutong, inner part of Chaoyangmen in Beijing, Nandouya Mosque is 200 meters north of Main Street and East Second Ring Road with a hundred meters distance. First built in Yuan Dynasty (1279-1644), it has a history of more than 200 years.
There is an Islamic lintel with a crescent moon on the top of the original entrance of Nandouya Mosque. Facing to the main entrance of the mosque, there is a traditional Chinese style screen wall with a width of 3.95 meters. The mosque was relocated in 2003 to its current location which is about 100 meters southwest of its original location due to the improvement of Beijing’s infrastructure.
With local Muslims’ donation and a total of eight million yuan investment of Beijing City government, Nandouya Mosque now covers an area of 1,600 square meters and it is built in traditional Chinese courtyard house style. It is an example of how mosques can be built by using modern materials and techniques while preserving the traditional Chinese and Islamic styles.